The GBA Bank Counsel Section was established for two purposes:
- To determine unfilled banking-related educational needs that exist among counsel who represent GBA members; and,
- To determine how the GBA can more effectively connect with and engage the large number of bank counsel who represent GBA members.
The Section is governed by the Bank Counsel Board of Directors. Members of the Board primarily focus on hosting an annual conference and assisting the association on legislation, regulations or litigation in which the association becomes involved. Members of the Board are appointed by the GBA Chairman.
Membership in the Bank Counsel Section is available under the following terms:
- Member in good standing of the State Bar of Georgia
- Individual membership for bank attorneys both inside and outside
- law firms holding a GBA associate membership may designate two individual memberships
The mission of GBA's Bank Counsel Section is:
- To provide a forum for bank counsel to be more knowledgeable in the areas of bank examination, regulation, compliance and the general business of banking;
- To offer banking-related educational programs for bank counsel;
- To review legislative, regulatory and administrative issues affecting banks.
The benefits of membership in the Bank Counsel Section include:
- Members receive all mailings from the GBA including the GBA Bulletin, Legislative Update and educational brochures.
- Members are eligible to register for any program at the member rate.
- Members receive continuing legal education credit for those programs approved by the State Bar of Georgia.
- Members are listed in each edition of the GBA Financial Institutions Directory.
- Members receive a monthly update from the American Bankers Association on the status of important banking cases around the country.
- Members have the opportunity to associate with other bank counsel from around the state.
The GBA Chairman appoints the Bank Counsel Section Board of Directors. The Board consists of 16 members; 10 representing the GBA Groups and six serving at large. The GBA's General Counsel serves in an ex officio capacity. A chair and vice chair are appointed from among the board.
There are two committees within the Section:
- EDUCATION - To assist the GBA staff in determining educational programs needed by bank counsel and to assist the GBA in producing programs which will be approved for CLE credit.
- LEGAL ADVISORY - To serve as a resource on legislative, regulatory, administrative and legal issues.
July 1 - June 30 -- $150
The normal billing cycle will be consistent with the GBA fiscal year, which begins each July 1. Membership is on an individual, not firm, basis.
For additional information on GBA's Bank Counsel Section, contact Bo Brannen